5/20/13

Joey's Bike

When I started looking for my bike I knew I wanted to get it from a local bike shop. I wanted to be able to ask lots of questions, and have somewhere to go when I can't figure something out, and talk to a real person who really knows bikes. I also was trying to hard to find a good touring bike for under $1000 (this is hard to do).

I checked out most of the bike shops in Bethlehem and a couple in Easton but didn't get "the feeling" about any bikes I saw or the shops themselves. They were OK. I was thinking about getting a Raleigh Port Townsend, but the (good) review I read was from a man. So I looked up "best touring bikes for women." The name Bianchi started popping up so I checked it out. On the Bianchi website, I kept coming back to the Campione. Something seemed right about it. AND it's under $1000. So I looked up Bianchi dealers near my zip code.

On May 1, I walked into Cycle Funattic in Phillipsburg, NJ-- just across the bridge from Easton. When asked if I needed help with anything I said, "I'm riding across the country this summer and I need a touring bike." Russ said, "I have just the bike for you."

He showed me a Bianchi Campione.

FURTHERMORE. Here's why Cycle Funattic is the best:

1. Even if you don't need a touring bike, there is a great selection.
2. The owner is really there and he is so caring and passionate about bikes and cyclists.
3. He treats you like a human instead of just a customer.
4. It's small and local.
5. IT'S JUST THE BEST.

I seriously can't describe all the ways Russ went above and beyond for me during this process. I am so grateful and I feel SO lucky. Thank you thank you thank you Cycle Funattic!!

About the bike:

That signature Bianchi teal-like color is called celeste. I had to have it for my handlebars.

She wasn't a fan of the gravelly part of the trail on the way home from the bike shop, but otherwise rides like a dream. (and I DO know how to change a flat now-- Thanks again, Russ!)

Her name is Maia: daughter of Atlas, the primordial Titan who held up the celestial sphere; first of the Pleiades, the seven sisters; mother of Hermes; a mountain nymph; embodies the concept of growth. ...Plus I found her on May 1st. Plus, she was made in Italy.

So far I couldn't be happier with this bike. I'll update on her performance during my trip down to Philadelphia in my next post. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment