4/16/13

Joey Bikes Vegan

I've been vegan for almost a year and half now (with the exception of the time living and working at Journey's End Farm last summer) and fully intend to continue my lifestyle/diet through this bike trip.
It sounds like it might be a challenge, BUT actually the internet tells me that a lot of people have done this or are doing it, and it sounds great! People actually say eating vegan contributes to their endurance, and eating meat and dairy slows you down and increases recovery time.
Here are just a few of the blogs I've come across:

Bats N Bikes
The Peddlers Blog
Operation Wake Up World
Durianrider

The fact that it's a healthy athletic choice makes it a little easier to explain to potential hosts, but there is of course the possibility of the awkward meal decline. The thing is, a big reason I'm a vegan is because I'm not comfortable supporting factory farms everyday (or ever!). Agriculture contributes an insane amount of greenhouse gas emissions in an unnecessary way. It's true, I could only eat animals and animal products from small, local, sustainable farms, but this is a form of protest to something bigger. I would love if this country depended on a smaller amount of meat and animal products for our diets, from small, sustainable farms. But we don't (yet) so I can't support the meat industry.

For now, I'm grateful that I'm already used to being a vegan and aware of where to get protein, but also excited to find out more about how to do it on the road. Any tips are appreciated!

joey

No comments:

Post a Comment